Godt Nytår

Happy New Year! ♥
I hope everybody had a great Christmas and NYE.


I went back to Germany for Christmas and then returned to Copenhagen on 12/30 with my little brother in tow. He was super excited as it was his first time abroad since he's been a toddler (we went to Spain for the Millenium New Year back then. My first flight. Good times, haha.), so basically the first time abroad that he'd actually be able to remember. The ticket and everything was my Christmas present for him.

So I acted as his tourist guide for a few days. I would have liked to see new sides of the city, since I have seen all the main tourist attractions already, but of course those were most exciting for him and this way I at least knew my way around already and we didn't have to waste time with maps and getting lost, lol.

First stop: Nyhavn.
Got myself a new phone for Christmas and just had to play with the double-camera feature. :D

Change of guards at Amalienborg Castle

The famous Little Mermaid

Playing around once more. :3

Because my brother is only 15 years old, going out to party for New Year's Eve was out of the question. He loves fireworks, though, and really wanted to buy some crackers and rockets. So we went to the supermarket, like we would in Germany, but lo and behold, no fire crackers at Danish supermarkets.

Turns out the Danes set up tents all over the city for around 1,5 weeks, where they sell fire crackers. We eventually found one and I helped him buy them (since you have to be 18+ y.o. for most stuff). I have previously talked to a few Danes about good places to watch and do fireworks in the city with a kid and all of them recommended me to go to The Lakes. So that's where we went, Queen Louise Bridge.

We spent the afternoon at home and were surprised to hear crackers and rockets going off all day long. People do that in Germany, but only a few and here we actually felt like we had just missed midnight. When we left the house at around 10 pm, we were surprised to see whole families standing on sidewalks, merrily doing their fireworks, like we would in Germany at midnight.
Arriving at the train station showed trains bursting with drunk, singing and jumping people...the kind you'd meet in Germany on a Saturday afternoon wearing soccer jerseys. Research during the train ride showed, that Danes start with their fireworks at 6 pm. Which is when the Queen finished her traditional speech on TV. Apparently NYE is serious business in Denmark, you get together with everybody, eat, drink (because I feel like that's the only thing the Danes ever do - no offense) and watch aforementioned speech, before you can go out, light your fire crackers in the streets and then go party.

Anyway. We went to The Lakes, watched fireworks and wondered if anybody would even have crackers left by midnight. Eventually midnight arrived and it turned out - they did. Denmark allows some stronger, louder, bigger crackers than Germany and some of them were REALLY loud. Whenever one of those went off, I was looking around, actually expecting a bombing attack, lol. It was crazy, stuff went off left and right and seemingly without control, so I waited for my brother to light his fireworks and then we went back. We didn't even have champagne or a beer to drink to the New Year because I was naive enough to believe that 7-Eleven, which is ALWAYS open, is also open on New Year's. =(

At The Lakes.
Pretty happy with the photo quality of the new phone.

This must be my favorite picture of fireworks, haha. Idk. I do like it. :)

Sparkly.

Because I'm not a big fan of doing fireworks myself (though I LOVE watching), I got sparklers like every year. ^__^ ❤

Some kind of Teriyaki-Bibimbap, some Kimchi (of course) and a Tiger beer. ❤
I discovered this amazing restaurant, which only has very few branches in very few countries, when I first came to Copenhagen and it's been almost 5 years since I went. So I was super happy to be able to go again with my Asia loving bro. :)

The Danish National Museum.

They had a lot of Asian stuff there, a whole floor. I didn't really get why.

Samurai stuff~~

Modern Danish History. :D A poster advertising a Beatles concert in Copenhagen, so cool :D

There was a temporary exhibition on Japanese photography at the museum. I suspect that's why he wanted to go there. :)

You could messily dress up in a kimono that made you look like you're 200 pounds and then pull embarrassed grimaces at a camera because all the people waiting were watching. At least it was free...

....just as this Purikura booth! SO COOL! Taking Purikura is so expensive in Germany and this one was free and we were almost the only ones. So we went twice (and only stopped then cause we had to get back and get his stuff because it was his last day). The booth was really great too, maybe the best kind I've been to so far. Again - those were my bro's first and he was super excited, hehe.


It was really great to have him over and to see him so happy. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy being able to build back the sleeping sofa again and being able to actually move inside my little room, haha. ;)

Anyway. Mini-entry about a one-day-trip to Sweden coming up soon. ♥


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

About this place

This blog started out as a place to keep my family and friends updated during my time as exchange student. That's why the initial posts here are written in German. Then I decided to try and become more serious about blogging. So I revamped the blog and started writing in English for a broader audience and for now....here we are. :D I may be writing about my past journeys and translate the older entries, too. But there's still a lot to do and I will try to do it one thing after the other. It'll be a slow process, so please bear with me. :)

About the tales

I am neither a professional writer, nor a professional photographer, so what you will read here are my personal, often clumsy, stories about my travels and adventures, friends and companions, accentuated by mobile phone pictures. I do own a Nikon DSLR camera, which is put to use sometimes, but more often than not I am too lazy to carry it around with me while exploring places. I work hard to support my lifestyle and my dreams, so while it will take me longer to go on the next journey, I can go proudly because I have earned it all myself. ❤

About the Globetrotter

My photo
I am an int'l business graduate, freelance translator and customer relations manager for a well-known online travel agency and have lived in Germany, China, Denmark and Spain. I immensely enjoy exploring new places, meeting new people and learning about their culture, language and lifestyle. My preferred travel destination is Asia, but I want to see the rest of the world, too. Well, most of it. On top of my list is Pyongyang. I will get there, eventually.